Uses of Aluminium, Copper, Zinc and Iron Chemistry Notes
Uses of Aluminium, Copper, Zinc and Iron :
The main uses are as follows:
Uses of Aluminium :
The important uses of aluminium metal are as follow :
- Aluminium foils are used as wrappers for cigarettes, chocolates, food stuffs, soaps as the metal is not affected by moisture.
- It is used in making household utensils.
- The fine dust of aluminium metal is used in paints and lacquers.
- Aluminium metal is highly reactive so it is used in the extraction of chromium and manganese from their oxides.
- Wires of aluminium are used as conductors.
- Aluminium powder is used as a reducing agent in thermite welding
- It is used to remove dissolved oxygen during the extraction of certain metals.
- It is also used in making alloys. Alloys containing aluminium, being light, are very useful.
Some common alloys of aluminium are given below:
Alloys of Aluminium and their uses
Uses of Copper :
Some important uses are as follows:
- Copper is used for making wires used in electrical industry and for water and steam pipes.
- Copper metal is used in electrotyping and electroplating.
- The sheets of copper are used for making utensils,
containers, evaporating pans, calorimeters etc. Because copper metal is very good conductor of heat.
- Copper sulphate salt is used in agriculture as fungicide.
- Copper is mixed with gold and silver in order to improve their malleability and ductility.
- Copper metal is used in making various alloys. Some of them are given below.
Alloys of Copper and their Uses
Uses of Zinc :
Some important uses of zinc are as follow:
- It is used for glvanising iron.
- It is used in large quantities in batteries.
- It is also a constituent of various alloys like brass, german silver etc.
- Zinc dust is used as a reducing agent in the manufacturing of dye-stuffs, paints etc.
Uses of Iron :
The important uses of iron are as follows:
- Cast iron, the most important form of iron, is used for casting stores, gutter pipes, toys, railway sleepers etc.
- It is used in manufacturing the wrought iron and various types of steel.
- Wrought iron is used in making anchors, wires, bolts, chains and various agricultural implements.
- There are various steel which are used in various areas. Some of them are discussed below.
Alloy Steel and Their Uses