Types of Solutions Chemistry Notes
Solutions are of many types. These can be classified in the following types:
On the Basis of Composition :
On the basis of composition, there are two types of solutions.
→ Homogeneous Solution : When the composition of solute and solvent is similar in each part in solution i.e., the distribution of each component is similar in complete solution then this is called homogeneous solution. The components of homogeneous solution can not be separated. Example. Solution of salt in water and solution of sugar in water etc.
→ Heterogeneous Solution: When the composition of solute and solvent is not similar in each part of solution then such type of solution is called heterogeneous solution. The components of this type of solution can be separeted by mechanical methods.
Example Solution of carbon and sulphur, solution of water and sand etc.
On the Basis of Amount of Solute :
- On the basis of amount of solute, there are following types of solutions.
- Dilute solution : The solution in which the amount of solute is much lesser than solvent, is called dilute solution.
- Concentrated solution : The solution in which the large amount of solute is dissolved in solvent, is called concentrated solution.
- Saturated solution : At a certain tempetraure, the solution which is in equilibrium with pure solid and no more solid can be dissolved in it at that temperature, is called saturated solution.
- Unsaturated solution : The solution in which more solute can be dissolved at that temperature, is called unsaturated solution.
- Super saturated solution: The solution in which more amount of solute is present from required amount for saturated state of that solution at a certain temperature is called super saturated solution.
- Solute can be separeted from this solution by applying some condition and it becomes saturated solution.
Types of solutions on the Basis of Physical State :
On the basis fo physical state, there are three types of solutions :
→ Gaseous solutions : Here, solvent is gas. On the basis of solute, we can classify them in following types:
|Gas||Gas||Mixture of oxygen and nitrogen|
|Gas||Liquid||Mixture of chloroform and nitrogen|
|Gas||Solid||Mixture of camphor and nitrogen|
→ Liquid solution : Here, solvent is liquid. They can be classified as follows:
|Liquid||Gas||Oxygen dissolved in water|
|Liquid||Liquid||Ethanol dissolved in water|
|Liquid||Solid||Glucose dissolved in water|
→ Solid Solutions : Here, solvent is solid. They can be classified as follows
|Solid||Gas||Adsorption of hydrogen on palladium|
|Solid||Solid||Solution of copper and gold|