Uses of Ammonia Chemistry Notes
Uses of Ammonia :
Some important uses of ammonia are as follows:
- Ammonia is used to manufacture nitrogenous fertilizers like ammonium nitrate, urea, ammonium phosphate, ammonium sulphate etc.
- Liquid ammonia is used as a refrigerant.
- As a cleansing agent for removing grease etc.
- In Solvay’s process it is used in manufacture of sodium carbonate and sodium bicarbonate.
- It is used in production of artificial silk.
- A mixture of ammonium nitrate and aluminium powder is used as explosive under the name Amonal.
- A mixture of ammonium nitrate and trinitrotoluene is used as an explosive under the trade name Amatol.