Similarities between Lanthanides and Actinides preparation and properties, Group 18 d – and f – Block Elements
Similarities between Lanthanides and Actinides :
- Oxidation state of +3is not common in both the series.
- In both the series, f-orbitals are being successively filled.
- As lanthanide contraction, we find actinide contraction because of electrons still passes very ineffective power as compared to 4f-electrons.
- Because off-transitions, sharp line like bonds are observed in the absorption spectra of the elements of both the series.
- Beside possessing low electronegativities they are very highly reactive.
- Nitrates, perchlorates and sulphates of trivalent actinides and also lanthanides are soluble whereas the hydroxide, fluorides and carbonates are not soluble in water.
- Just like lanthanides actinides show ion exchange behaviour.
- Due to presence of unpaired electron, the ions of both are paramagnetic.
- The elements of both the series are highly electro positive hence these elements are chemically highly reactive and behave as strong reducing agent.