Physical Properties of Ammonia Chemistry Notes
Physical Properties of Ammonia :
- Ammonia is a colourless gas with a characteristic pungent smell. It brings tears into the eyes.
- It is lighter than air.
- It is highly soluble in water due to the formation of hydrogen bonds.
- It can be easily liquified at room temperature by the application of pressure because its vapour pressure is very high
- Its freezing and boiling point is 198.4 K and 239.7K respectively
- It’s solution is basic in nature due to the formation of OH– ion. It also acts as base due to the acceptance of H+ ion.
- Liquid ammonia when vaporised then it causes intense cooling so liquid ammonia is used as refrigerant.