Applications of Carboxylic Acid Preparation and Properties
Formic acid (HCOOH) :
- In the preparation of carbon monoxide in laboratory.
- In preservation of fruits.
- In textile colour industry.
- In the tanning of leather.
- As coagulating agent for rubber latex.
- As an antiseptic and in medicine for the treatment of gout.
- In the preparation of oxalic acid.
- As a reducing agent.
Acetic Acid :
- As laboratory reagent and solvent.
- As vinegar in cooking and houshold uses.
- In preparation of cellulose ester and other esters.
- In the preparation of different carbonyl compounds like acetone, acetic anhydride, acetyl chloride, acetamide, ester.